Skip to content

Not Playing at the WSOP

May 30, 2009

So, I spent the entire day in the Amazon Room at the Rio, which means only one thing. The World Series of Poker is underway.

Today’s event was #3, the $1,500 Limit Omaha 8/B tournament and I didn’t play a single hand. Instead, I spent the day at a card table in the corner reporting on all of the action for Poker News. With more than 750 players, the event drew a solid field, including big names like Erick Lindgren, Eric Froelich, Jeff Madsen, Rafe Furst, and Jerry Buss. It’s a bit of a zoo.

To be honest, I’m just a little out of sync, since this is only the second event I’ve ever covered for PN. There’s a lot to do, and a lot to keep track of, but it’s not brain surgery. Still, having worked fairly unsteadily over the past year, it’s taking a while to get back in the swing of things. I’m not complaining though.  Speaking of getting back in the swing, my old employer has a nice little suite set up here at the Rio. I stopped in and saw some old familiar faces, which is always nice. It’s also nice to know that there’s a place I can run to if I ever find myself in desperate need of a break, which I’m sure will happen.

I found even more familiar faces up on Media Row, where the likes of Pauly, Change, Geno, Al, and Jen are all camped out. I’m too much of a newbie to have a seat up there yet and am, instead, stuck in a corner in the back of the Amazon room. Oh well.

I was some kind of good luck charm for Rafe Furst. When I first stopped by his table, he won two big pots back-to-back. Later in the day, Rafe’s table broke and he was moved right next to our media set up. He quickly won two more big pots in a single orbit. When he looked up and saw me sitting just five feet away, he walked over and told me not to go anywhere.


I planned to write more about the day’s activities, but with my back killing me as the tourney broke up at 1am, I packed up my things and made my way to the Hooker Bar where I popped back a few drinks with CK, Al, Dan and Joy Kendra. My back suddenly felt better, but by the time I dragged my ass home at 3am, I was in no shape to do anything than fall into bed. I’ll try to do better today.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: